Senja & Lyngen
21 - 27 Jan 2025 : 4 Places Available
21 – 27 Jan 2025
Does some epic photography, adventure, lots of laughing, and the ExploreLight hospitality in Northern Norway sound like a good plan? We feel we have found some untapped locations in Senja & Lyngen Alps plus of course some that are becoming more iconic in the area.
Big mountains, epic fjords, cute little cottages, single tree heaven and northern lights. Plus there’s no one around at lots of the locations so it’s a real treat.
Our Senja & Lyngen photography workshop begins with a meet-up in Tromso in the evening of 21st Jan 2025. You can fly here via a connecting flight from Oslo.
21 Jan – Tromso
22 / 23 Jan – Lyngen Alps
24 / 25 / 26 Jan – Senja
The final shoot will be sunrise shoot on 27 Jan. The group will return to Tromso airport approx around 3pm
We do not set out a specific daily location itinerary, as Peter & Thor will bring you to the best locations under the prevailing light conditions. However, you can expect to shoot big mountain views in Lyngen and Senja, stunning fjords, trees and of course we will do our level best to capture the northern lights. We have 6 nights so theres a great chance to see it and shoot it. Thor and Peter have tonnes of experience and while it’s never guaranteed you have a great chance during your visit.
There will be a webinar to help you edit your images post-workshop. You send your pictures to your instructor and a section will be edited live. The webinar will be recorded and sent back to you so you will have a route map to help you make the most of your images after the workshop. We will also offer discounted rates on our online photography courses plus we have a range of free courses you can access so you’re ready to go before you even arrive.
The cost of Senja & Lyngen Photo Workshop is €3850. For this fee, you will receive all tuition and location guide as described above. Accommodation for 6 Nights Single Occupancy, Breakfast, Location Guide, Day and Night Shooting, Tuition.
FLIGHTS are not included.
It is not advised to book flights until we confirm we have adequate numbers for this workshop to go ahead. In the event of the workshop not going ahead, we will refund deposits in full. However, we will not compensate flight costs.
- On Location Guidance
- Compositional Instruction
- Post Processing Instruction in Free Webinar
- Understanding Exposure Triangle
- Modes of Exposure
- RAW, White Balance and Filters
- Why is the angle of the sun so important – Understanding Light and seeing like your camera
- Using Graduated Neutral Density Filters
- Sharpness From Here to Shanghai – Understanding Depth of Field
- Choosing the Correct Shutter Speed to get the best Outcome
- The Importance of Composition – Using Lines and Texture
- Histograms ExplainedExposing to the Right for Maximum Details
- For equipment, we recommend at least a DSLR. Wide, fast lenses are more popular with night and aurora.
- We recommend an ND filter, grad filters and polariser. Sturdy tripod – think windy!
- An expected amount of gear would fill a camera backpack.Typically we will be shooting landscapes, so a quality wide angle is important… the lens needs to be fairly fast i.e. f/2.8 if possible
- Spare Batteries, European charger. Car charger
- Shutter Release
- As we will be shooting at night, it is important to have a headlamp.
- The correct way to dress is to have suitable layers of clothing, so that layers can be added or removed accordingly. Icelanders dress with 3 or 4 thin layers, starting with wool and ending with Goretex (or similar).
- You can expect temperatures between 12 c and -12 c
- Layers of clothing, for example, thermal-shirt, fleece, jacket, long-johns, Outdoor trousers (not jeans!!), rain jacket and rain trousers.
- Sturdy shoes for light hiking (waterproof is best), wool socks.
- Hat and gloves, scarf and balaclava.
- Spare gloves – spare shoes.
- One large suitcase, small personal bag, camera bag and tripod each.
EASY with 2 Moderate Walks. The majority of the workshop is easy to access but there are 2 short walks of 20 minutes each to get in position. A basic level of fitness will suffice.
Our team is dedicated to getting you the best images possible on every trip. We are an experienced team of leaders and always willing to go the extra mile for our participants. Ask our repeat customers. Most workshops have 50% or higher returning customers.
We will get you to the right place at the right time of day to maximize your chances of making great images. That’s the core focus of every trip. What drives us forward. We love the light as much as you do and our primary goal is always to give you the best chance possible of bringing home special images.
We have small groups and a really high teacher to pupil ratio. Most workshops are only 6 or 7 people. Our max is 9 and there will be 2 instructors. This means that there is always time to give advice and help when on location. It also means we always travel in comfort with 2 people to a 3 seat berth. We take your comfort seriously with single occupancy rooms with private bathrooms as standard. We also have a dedicated office team managing logistics so you have a point of contact for your arrival and departures or other logistical questions you might have around the trip.
Every workshop of 3 days or more comes with a free follow-up private webinar for the group. 2 hours of post-processing of the images from your trip. Recorded live and emailed back to you so you have a road map through the edit of the whole trip.
So why not join the adventure? Join the ExploreLight Community!
“On a workshop with ExploreLight, there are always laughs, but there are always great photographs too. Peter and his team go to great efforts to ensure everyone gets the shot they want at a location – whether it’s the continuous checking of local weather conditions, to in depth knowledge of each location, to prepping the group prior to arrival at the location by showing past shots, to walking among the group during the shoot, offering advice and sharing their own shots, total dedication to the client. I’ve taken some of my best shots while on ExploreLight workshops and that’s no coincidence.
The aftercare is second to none, with a private Facebook group where you are encouraged to share your shots (and where you can receive suggestions for improvement) to social nights out and emails on upcoming workshops, editing sessions, etc. Peter is building a community of photographers who return again and again.”
“Something deep within tempted me to attend an ExploreLight fundamentals workshop in the Wicklow National Park in March 2015. I remember coming home feeling invigorated, that a new world was about to open up for me. My photography has improved steadily so much so that I recently achieved my Associate distinction from the IPF but more importantly I have met fantastic people many of whom are now considered friends, I’ve attended many more ExploreLight workshops since and visited fantastic locations all under the expert guidance of the ExploreLight team. These guys are good and are at the top of their game and super professional. I recommend ExploreLight because they are the best Photography workshop and tour operators out there.”
Noel McIntyre AIPF
“I have been on several ExploreLight Workshops and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. The ExploreLight workshops are a perfect combination of excellent teaching, superb locations, and great “craic”. Your enthusiasm is infectious, even if it means getting up at 5am to shoot the sunrise, or staying out until 4am to shoot the aurora. I look forward to returning to many more workshops with you guys.”
Please read our Terms & Conditions HERE
Email [email protected] if you require any further information
Regarding flights or other personal expenses, we cannot take responsibility for costs if a workshop does not go ahead. We suggest having insurance or a ticket that allows you to move dates. This is available with most airlines at the moment.