16 - 21 Sep 2024 : 2 Places Available
16 – 21 Sep 2024
Our Brittany workshop takes in some truly unique and stunning aspects of the French coastline. Think long exposure, think lighthouses, fishing huts, Mont Saint Michel and so much amazing opportunity to shoot great minimal imagery. Big stopper essential. Combine that with a great cultural experience in France, and we feel we are on to a winner with this new tour.
Brittany, France’s northwesternmost region, is a hilly peninsula extending out toward the Atlantic Ocean. Its lengthy, rugged coastline is dotted with structural features that will provide a perfect focus for your long exposures. The Pink Granite Coast is famed for its unusual, blush-hued sand and rocks. We also plan to take advantage of the unique and unusual mussel farms in this area. While we are labeling this trip, Brittany, we will also sneak into Normandy to shoot Mont Saint Michel. A magical island topped by a gravity-defying medieval monastery, the Mont-Saint-Michel counts among France’s most stunning sights.
This workshop begins and ends in Nantes. The first two nights will be spent in the St Malo region where we will shoot the iconic Mont Saint Michel, the town of St malo itself plus some really interesting minimal locations. A sunset directly from the drive is possible so be prepared camera gear in hand at the airport.
From our most northerly position, we then go west with 2 nights in the Brest area of Western Brittany. Stunning lighthouse locations abound and your big stopper will be in overdrive. For our final night, we head south again to Nantes shooting some unique fishing huts we have scouted especially for this trip at sunrise and sunset.
We will shoot sunrise each morning followed by breakfast and a break for a few hours to recharge the batteries. Dinner will be taken in the middle of the day and we will shoot each afternoon before sunset. There will be a webinar to help you edit your images post-workshop. You send your pictures to your instructor and a selection will be edited live. The webinar will be recorded and sent back to you so you will have a route map to help you make the most of your images after the workshop. We will also offer discounted rates on our online photography courses plus we have a range of free courses you can access so you’re ready to go before you even arrive.
The cost of the workshop is €2950 for single occupancy. For this fee, you will receive all tuition and location guide as described above. Accommodation in a Hotel, Breakfast and Dinner each day, transportation costs (from accommodation to shoot locations).
FLIGHTS are not included.
It is not advised to book flights until we confirm we have adequate numbers for this workshop to go ahead. In the event of the workshop not going ahead, we will refund deposits in full. However, we will not compensate flight costs.
- On Location Guidance
- Compositional Instruction
- Post Processing Instruction in Free Webinar
- Understanding Exposure Triangle
- Modes of Exposure
- RAW, White Balance and Filters
- Why is the angle of the sun so important – Understanding Light and seeing like your camera
- Using Graduated Neutral Density Filters
- Sharpness From Here to Shanghai – Understanding Depth of Field
- Choosing the Correct Shutter Speed to get the best Outcome
- The Importance of Composition – Using Lines and Texture
- Histograms ExplainedExposing to the Right for Maximum Details
- Spare batteries for camera if possible or the battery charger essential
- We will be shooting both wide angles and intimate details so focal lengths from 17mm to 200mm will be of use. Longer lenses essential and if you have longer than 200 or a tele converter this would be of use.
- Tripod (essential)
- Shutter cable release if possible but we can also use your timer if you don’t have a cable release.
- Camera Manual (just in case)
- Filters – Circular Polariser , ND’s and grad ND’s will be of use
- You will need warmer clothes for the morning. Expect temp around 4 or 5 degrees celsius with temp up to 20 / 25 c during the day.
- Wellies will be of use – we will be shooting a lot of seascapes
EASY – There are a few short walks of up to 20 minutes on this workshop but they are even ground making them really easy. All workshops require walking on uneven ground on beaches or lake edges for example.
Our team is dedicated to getting you the best images possible on every trip. We are an experienced team of leaders and always willing to go the extra mile for our participants. Ask our repeat customers. Most workshops have 50% or higher returning customers.
We will get you to the right place at the right time of day to maximize your chances of making great images. That’s the core focus of every trip. What drives us forward. We love the light as much as you do and our primary goal is always to give you the best chance possible of bringing home special images.
We have small groups and a really high teacher to pupil ratio. Most workshops are only 6 or 7 people. Our max is 9 and there will be 2 instructors. This means that there is always time to give advice and help when on location. It also means we always travel in comfort with 2 people to a 3 seat berth. We take your comfort seriously with single occupancy rooms with private bathrooms as standard. We also have a dedicated office team managing logistics so you have a point of contact for your arrival and departures or other logistical questions you might have around the trip.
Every workshop of 3 days or more comes with a free follow-up private webinar for the group. 2 hours of post-processing of the images from your trip. Recorded live and emailed back to you so you have a road map through the edit of the whole trip.
So why not join the adventure? Join the ExploreLight Community!